Beetroot or beets are a famous vegetable and it can be cooked from top to bottom. They can bring huge benefits to your body’s health and their earthy taste can improve the taste of your meals.
Consuming beets on daily basis can protect your body from many diseases and conditions. Here are 8 benefits that beets can provide for you.
1. Beets can prevent or treat chronic inflammations
Because of the numerous nutrients found in beets, they can be used as an anti-inflammatory medicine and it can help you get rid of many conditions and diseases.
2. Beets keep a healthy balance of blood pressure
If you can maintain a healthy level of blood pressure, it means that you will lower the risks of heart diseases. Beets are rich in nitrates, which can bring your blood pressure to a healthier level.
This will improve the health and strength of your heart, reducing the risks of a stroke or heart attack.
3. Beets can speed up the process of weight-loss
If you are struggling to lose a couple of pounds, it might be good to include beets to your diet due to their richness of fiber.
Also, they have a low number of calories and will keep you full which is exactly what you need when starting a diet.
4. Beets can improve your physical strength
The dietary nitrates that are found in beets can also improve the network of mitochondrial cells in your body. This network has a task to produce and transform energy to living cells.
With the help of the beets, you will lower the oxygen cost of any physical activity – the less oxygen you spend, the more you will endure.
5. Beets can improve your brain functions
As we get older, our cognitive possibilities are slowly weakening and one of the main reasons behind this is decreased blood flow in your brain.
If you start a diet that will bring your body a high amount of nitrate diet, you can enhance the blood flow in your brain which will improve your language, memory, and problem-solving skills.
6. Beets can improve digestive health
In order to improve your digestive health, you need to start a high-fiber diet. Fiber can also lower the risks of a heart disease, cancer, and diabetes.
Beets can really help you here because they are rich in dietary fiber, and in one cup, you get around 3.8 grams of fiber.
7. Beets are rich in Betalains
Betalains are phytonutrients and they give the red to violet and yellow to orange color of the beets. This also means that beets are significantly rich in antioxidant properties.
As an addition, the beets are rich in other antioxidants, such as caffeic acid, flavonoids, carotenoids, rutin and epicatechin which significantly reduce the risks of developing cancer, heart disease or dementia.
8. The beets are rich in many essential nutrients, such as:
|Per Cup of Raw Beets||% of DV|
|Vitamin A||44.9 IU||1%|
|Vitamin C||6.7 mg||11%|
|Vitamin B6||0.1 mg||5%|
|Pantothenic Acid||0.2 mg||2%|
Keep in mind to save the leafy greens of the beets that are usually packed together.
They have higher amounts of vitamins and you can add them to your salad or main dish. They can be stir-fried or boiled, which makes them similar to spinach.
12 Beets recipes that you can experiment with
- Beet Salad ( Get the recipe from The Old Farmer’s Almanac )
- Beet Kvass (Get the recipe from The Kitchn )
- Borscht ( Get the recipe from Taste of Home )
- Pickled Beets
- Chlodnik ( Get the recipe from Polish Housewife )
- Pennsylvania Dutch Pickled Beets & Eggs ( Get the recipe from All Recipes )
- Roasted Beet Hummus ( Get the recipe from Minimalist Baker. )
- Sautéed Beet Greens (Get the recipe from Spend With Pennies )
- Blueberry-Beet Smoothie
- Beetroot bread with nuts ( Get the recipe from Akis Petretzikis )
- Beet noodles ( Get the recipe from Feasting At Home )
If you want to try something new and extremely healthy, we have a natural and healthy drink that will provide amazing results.
Get the recipe here: www.healthandhealthyliving.com
Make a research, choose a few of these recipes and experiment with them. You might come up with a new favorite meal that will boost your health significantly. Enjoy!